Intercepting MID server traffic to an instance
- Is there a way to intercept the MID server traffic to an instance ?
- ServiceNow does not currently provide this functionality OOB.
- Per Servicenow's compliance team, this is not a legal/regulatory/compliance requirement in India.
- One possible solution is, to use a third party reverse proxy setup that enables the customer to intercept and decrypt information required.
- However, per the product management, this is not possible with the way ServiceNow provides certificates for decryption.
- As of now, we have 1 certificate for encryption globally at 2 levels, and they are used in rotation every day. Also, these certificates are applicable for other tenants and hence cannot be shared.
- Servicenow customers currently introduced a number of network appliances between the mid server and the ServiceNow instance (of course within their network before the firewall).
- Be it a web proxy / reverse proxy / firewall / etc... , MID Server traffic can be routed through them and most enterprise customers have similar setups.
- It is recommended that the customers put a CA signed certificate on the proxy/network appliance.
- Servicenow cannot help set up the network appliance since we do not sell them.
- But we do have online documentation on how to connect the mid server to a proxy.
- For a reverse proxy setup, you would need to reach out to the proxy vendor on instructions on configuration and connections.
- But yes, we don't recommend doing this, as if it's not correctly setup, you would expose the traffic for malicious user interception.