The WMI Collector service may stop with an error on a Windows MID Server host. There is an issue where the MID Server attempts to access the log4net.dll library file in the Windows installation folder (c:\Windows\system32\), but cannot because of a lock on the file. The following error is displayed:
"The ServiceNow WMI Collector service terminated unexpectedly."
- Stop the service if it is running: 'ServiceNow WMI Collector.'
- Navigate to C:\Windows\System32.
- Copy the log4net.dll file.
- Navigate to the MID Server installation folder.
- Navigate to ...\agent\bin\sw_wmi\bin (where the wmi_collector.exe file resides) and paste the file copied in step 3 into the folder.
- Restart the MID Server Service and the WMI Collector service.
It should now start correctly.
WMI Collector is deprecated in New York patch 10 and later. See the KB0791835 WMI Collector deprecation details for more information.